Friday, January 14, 2011

2/365 Is that the Sun?


This is what Brisbane woke up to on Wednesday morning the 12th January 2011.

The sun peeping out from behind the clouds, it's first appearance after days of torrential rain which has caused flooding throughout Qld almost as bad as the 1974 floods. And has seen 3/4 of the state declared a disaster zone.

In my whole life I have never seen anything like it and hope to never again. I don't think I have ever watched so much TV or listened to so much news as I have these last few days. Always waiting and watching for any little update on this crisis.

The water broke the banks of the Brisbane river and was expected to rise to 5.5 metres at the next high tide, which was bigger than the 74 floods.

Thousands of people were evacuated from their residences into emergency evacuation centres and the power was cut for safety reasons, while Brisbane spent a slow an agonising night in wonder of what was to come the next day.

Thankfully the river only peaked at 4.46 metres. But this did not mean the end of it all. The flood waters had slowly been continuing to rise and continuing to do more even more damage to homes, business's and anything in its path. A mass of destruction everywhere you looked.

This is something that I am not going to forget in a big hurry and I just watch the devistating stories of destruction, loss - homes, business's and lives, and it is so heartbreaking. I don't think I could even begin to imagine how these people feel, having lost so much or everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment